The mission of the Kansas Association of Mappers is to provide its members with education opportunities in the fields of mapping and GIS. To this end, KAM makes grants available for any member with financial need. Grants can be used to offset education expenses for conferences, meetings, classes, or seminars, as well as books and other training materials. Any member in good standing may apply for a grant under the listed conditions.
The grant is not intended to cover travel and accommodation expenses.
The grant shall be monitored and administered by the KAM Executive Board. It shall be the Executive Board’s responsibility to provide all pertinent grant information to the KAM membership including application collection and screening procedures. The KAM Executive Board maintains full authority for dispersing funds.
The administration of the KAM Educational Grant shall adhere to the following rules:
- Applicant must have been a member of KAM for at least the past 12 months and must be current with all associated membership fees and dues.
- Applicant cannot be a current member of the KAM Executive Board.
- Applicant must be able to show that they do not have access to funding from other sources, i.e. their employer or other grants or scholarships.
- Applicant cannot have previously received a KAM Educational Grant within the past 13 months.
- Grant funds may be used only for class enrollment fees or for books or training materials. No funds will be provided for food, living expenses (hotel/motel), or any type of travel expenses.
- If the funds are to be used to attend a conference, recipient must prove they attend class sessions for at least 70% of the time slots offered. (This can be accomplished by a class schedule that has been stamped or signed-off by the instructor). If less than 70% were attended, recipient must repay the grant to KAM.
- If grant funds are to be used to attend the KAM Annual Conference or any other conference at which KAM is represented, the recipient must be willing to assist the Executive Board with miscellaneous tasks as needed. This may include helping at the registration table, sitting at the KAM vendor booth, or any similar activity. The Board will work with the recipient to set up a schedule that is agreeable to both parties.
- Grants may be awarded to multiple recipients. KAM can award up to a combined maximum of $2,000 in grants per calendar year.
- No single applicant may receive grants more than three (3) times in a five-year period.
- All KAM Educational Grants will be awarded by the KAM Executive Board. The Board reserves the right to reject any and all applications if they so choose.
- If grant funds are to be used to attend a conference, only one educational grant per organization per conference will be granted.